Thursday, January 28, 2010

Easy Deep Dish Crumb-Topped Apple Pie: by Holly

Hey, this is Holly. Butting in from time to time to give you some more of my favorite recipes that were not included in the "Easiest, Quickest & Best..." cookbook. I made this dessert the other day and thought of what a wonderful wintertime comfort dessert it is, so I thought I'd share! Actually this pie recipe I modified from a recipe that my mom used to make when I was a kid. I will give you both of the recipes.

Easy Deep Dish Crumb-Topped Apple Pie

You need to use a deep dish pie pan, or it won't all fit. I use a quiche pan.

1 Pillsbury refrigerated pie crust
2 cans apple pie filling
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1 dry yellow cake mix
1 stick butter or margarine (I use margarine)

Spray your pan with "Pam". Lay the pie crust in and pinch to fit. Put both cans of pie filling into the unbaked pie crust. Sprinkle apple filling with cinnamon. Pour the dry cake mix on top. It doesn't have to be completely even and can have some lumps. Melt margarine and pour over dry cake mix. Bake at 350 for about 45 minutes till the top is slightly browned.

Isn't that unbelievably easy? You will not believe how good tht pie is with that topping! Let it cool completely before closing it up, so that the top will not get soggy.

Now this is the original recipe:

Cherry Crumb Dessert

1 can cherry pie filling
1 can crushed pineapple (drained very well)
1 dry cake mix
1 stick margarine

Mix cherry and pineapple and put into 9 x 13 pan. Pour dry cake mix on top, then the melted butter. Bake at 350 till slightly browned on top.

Hope your family likes this as much as mine. When I made it last week, they couldn't wait for it to cool, and ate it piping hot out of the oven!

1 comment:

  1. MMMMMMMMM!! Yummy..I can't wait to check it out and try it! Thank you so much Holly for taking the time out of your busy schedule to post this yummy recipe! I love you so much!
    Teresa

    ReplyDelete

We love comments like we love desserts!!!
Please Note: If you don't have user id...then please comment as 'Anonymous'...thank you!