Yes, this is Iowa, and this is my inspiration for today's recipe, the ultimate comfort food. Who wouldn't need some comfort in all of this? On the other hand, there is Teresa's Facebook picture posted a couple of days ago, with her family in the midst of green, lush foliage! Well, I dare say, wherever we are, we could all use some good 'ol comfort food!
Homemade Chicken Pot Pie (the ultimate comfort food)
*2 Pillsbury Pie crusts (1 package)
*2 chicken breasts
*2 TBLS. butter
*1/2 cup carrots, diced
*1/2 cup celery, diced
*1/4 cup onions, diced
*1 large potato, diced
*1 cup corn
*1 cup green beans
*2 TBLS. chicken boullion
*3 TBLS. corn starch dissolved in 3 TBLS. milk
*onion powder, parsley, garlic powder to taste
(Remember that these are the approximate measurements for my size deep dish pan. You may have to adjust the measurements to fit your pan.)
1. Lay one of the pie crusts in a deep dish pie dish, or quiche dish.
2. Saute carrots, celery and onions in butter till softened.
3. Add potatoes and chicken breasts. Add enough water to cover the chicken and potatoes. Cook till chicken is no longer pink in the middle. Add water to keep covered, if needed. Take the chicken out and cut into bitesize pieces; add back in.
4. Add the corn and green beans, add enough water to barely cover.
5. To the liquid in the pan, add boullion, and spices. After dissolving the corn starch in milk, add slowly to the hot liquid until it becomes the thickness that you want (just leave the chicken and veggies in the pan while you do this).
6. Pour into the pie crust and top with the other pie crust, pinching the edges and cutting off excess.
6. Bake at 350' for appx. 30 minutes till crust is browned.